Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...
Default Airport security, now with 75% more standing around!

TSA workers poised to unionize after labor agreement

Published August 02, 2012

FoxNews.com

Transportation Security Administration workers are poised to unionize after striking a labor agreement with the American Federation of Government Employees.

The agreement follows pushback last year from Republicans on Capitol Hill worried that a big union presence through the TSA ranks could stifle the organization's flexibility in response to security threats.

But supporters of TSA unionization have called these warnings unrealistic.

AFGE announced the agreement with TSA workers in a brief statement Thursday morning.

The agreement now goes to nearly 45,000 workers for approval.

TSA bosses last year granted workers the ability to collectively bargain.

Under the plan, TSA screeners would be prohibited from striking, just like other federal employees.

The National Treasury Employees Union had competed against AFGE to represent the TSA workers.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz22U940bkl

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Okay, I've heard some news items but I'm not sure if they are true, that some airports are kicking out the TSA and hiring their own private security. I didn't think they could do that but if so then this would be a great thing. Because if so, shit is going to get so bad that all the airports (except Atlanta I'm sure) will kick these assholes out and hire their own private companies and suddenly shit will be much better.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Okay, I've heard some news items but I'm not sure if they are true, that some airports are kicking out the TSA and hiring their own private security. I didn't think they could do that but if so then this would be a great thing. Because if so, shit is going to get so bad that all the airports (except Atlanta I'm sure) will kick these assholes out and hire their own private companies and suddenly shit will be much better.
I don't think it will make any difference. Private firms will still have to operate under Homeland guidelines.

Private firms would also probably hire ex-TSA, since they have experience, but they'd get paid less.

Now you have the same people, enforcing the same rules, with even worse attitudes than they had already.

Result: Shit gets worse.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 08-03-2012 at 05:37 PM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
fatbuckRTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't think it will make any difference. Private firms will still have to operate under Homeland guidelines.

JC
I dunno. Personally, I think a lot of the incidents with TSA workers stem from their "I'm a mofrackin 'federal agent'" syndrome. That, and the perceived job security in working for the federal government (which will compound exponentially once they're unionized). Maybe private firms will actually need to respect their customers.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:

Private firms would also probably hire ex-TSA, since they have experience, but they'd get paid less.

Now you have the same people, enforcing the same rules, with even worse attitudes than they had already.

Result: Shit gets worse.

JC
Not necessarily. Higher/lower pay doesn't necessarily impact attitude that much... Plus I'm not so sure they'd be paid less.

From what I hear the private security at airports have better training and less cost due to simple efficiency. The TSA employs the same amount of people 24/7/365, without any focus on peak/valley times... The private companies save because they watch this...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...s-take-/nHXJR/
Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Motherfuckers be gangin' up on me. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I dunno. Personally, I think a lot of the incidents with TSA workers stem from their "I'm a mofrackin 'federal agent'" syndrome. That, and the perceived job security in working for the federal government (which will compound exponentially once they're unionized). Maybe private firms will actually need to respect their customers.
That will vary with the individual, but I've seen that same attitude from mall cops and the guys who direct parking traffic at the fair. Give a guy a flashlight, all of a sudden he's Elliot fucking Ness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Not necessarily. Higher/lower pay doesn't necessarily impact attitude that much... Plus I'm not so sure they'd be paid less.

From what I hear the private security at airports have better training and less cost due to simple efficiency. The TSA employs the same amount of people 24/7/365, without any focus on peak/valley times... The private companies save because they watch this...
You get laid off from a job, and then rehired for the same job, for less money? No impact on attitude? Not buying it.

They would be paid less in the beginning, making them even worse insufferable bastards, then they would form a Union anyway, making them
almost impossible to fire insufferable bastards.

On your last point, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Homeland requires a certain number of personnel on hand at all times. Not that that makes any sense, but...

JC
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
...The TSA employs the same amount of people 24/7/365, without any focus on peak/valley times... The private companies save because they watch this...
I remember that. I was stuck on a flight from ATL that got held over for 4 hours due to shitters not working. When they finally cancelled the flight at 2am I had to walk back 1 mile since the they didn't operate the airport train at 2am (which they constantly reminded you over a intercom). But when walking by the security I noticed a shit ton of TSA workers chilling at security and couldn't figure out why. Which here is the flight traffic of the world's busiest airport at 2am.

If ATL was ran by a private firm they would have noticed 400 people needing to go 1 mile to get to the exit and ran the train. And there would be only a handful of TSA agents at security.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
fatbuckRTO

Quote:
Give a guy a flashlight, all of a sudden he's Elliot fucking Ness.

Fair enough. But I tend to think TSA workers see themselves more as Gandalf facing down the Balrog.

Gimmee a break, I just watched the extended edition Fellowship of the Ring last weekend...

Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:

You get laid off from a job, and then rehired for the same job, for less money? No impact on attitude? Not buying it.

They would be paid less in the beginning, making them even worse insufferable bastards, then they would form a Union anyway, making them
almost impossible to fire insufferable bastards.

On your last point, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Homeland requires a certain number of personnel on hand at all times. Not that that makes any sense, but...

JC

Again, not entirely sure they'd make less and it's likely that it would be negligable if they did. Even so, I'm sure there'd be more restrictions on attitude and treating people in the private system vs the government run one. All those articles about TSA agents doing ridiculous shit... how many times have we read that they were disciplined? Never... you bet your ass you'd get further with the private company.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote