Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000
Default Do You Stop and Listen to The Music?

A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin. It was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds - and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping - continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again.

The one who paid the most attention, was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried - but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk - turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.
This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:
If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world - playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

For the full backstory and some interesting points of view:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html
Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

In London musicians are everywhere playing all the time.

I love music and appreciate it a lot, especially since I play several instruments.

But when I'm trying to make the next train somehow "sorry boss, I stopped to listen to a violinist on my way to work" isn't going to cut it!

When I'm not in a rush? Stop and listen all the time.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

stopping = getting run over

if it isn't busy I've stopped and listened in NYC...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
stopping = getting run over ...
Hell sometimes the musicians themselves annoy me because the corridor could use the extra space in rush hour!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

That was actually a fascinating article. It is rather sad that people didnt take the time to stop and listen. Id love to live in a large enough area to have a street musician somewhere...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Practice the art of observation sometime. Don't just look, notice. You will find some interesting things.

First with such busy schedules and hectic pace people program themselves to ignore all but their main priorities. Many times they get the sequence wrong and have accidents. But primarily you will notice people going about their day with tunnel vision. Locked in on that next priority with absolutely zero interest or notice of what is happening around them.

The other thing is, once they become aware or you get them aware of your observation, is how they react. Many get paranoid real quick with their purses pulled tight or an arm on their kid, some glance away as if eye contact would cause them distraction and needless delay, and some will actually welcome the opportunity to interact if only breifly with another member of society.

Try to practice observing and then experiment. Try with your Sunday finest on and see how that works for ya, then try again with old t-shirt and jeans. Try it at the mall, at a concert or sporting event, try it on the train, plane, or bus. Try it at your fav resturaunt.

Human nature is very interesting...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
In London musicians are everywhere playing all the time.

I love music and appreciate it a lot, especially since I play several instruments.

But when I'm trying to make the next train somehow "sorry boss, I stopped to listen to a violinist on my way to work" isn't going to cut it!

When I'm not in a rush? Stop and listen all the time.
I'm much the same way but found the article interesting. I know I'm guilty of putting stress/pressure on myself, always in a rush, and I wouldn't mind changing that sometimes. In the big scheme of things, what is 5 minutes to stop and listen? To take in your surroundings?

I thought it was an interesting experiment and a well written article (the non Cliffs notes version).
Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Well we could all benefit from a little more "presence" every now and then. All we have is the present.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Situational awarness at least...Keeps your insurance premiums low.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote